Thursday, January 5, 2012

Band-aids and Aspirin versus a Miracle Cure

Since being in college, I’ve learned one of the most important lessons that I ever could learn in my life. But I truly believe that you can know all the knowledge that you want in your brain, but until you experience it firsthand, you can’t believe it in your heart.
                After experiencing quite a bit of crap in my first semester of college, I’ve learned that apart from pain, there really isn’t a better teacher. In complacent stages of life that are easy as 1-2-3, what answer do we need? None. No question is being asked because there is no equation that needs a formula. It’s as simple as when you don’t have math homework you obviously aren’t going to create problems for yourself to solve. (If this is you, please find help… Or go become a math teacher please.)
                How else do we seek out the right answer more earnestly than when we’re hurting? Cause let’s face it, hurting sucks. We don’t generally as humans look forward to losing our job, being dumped, getting betrayed, or abused—we actually avoid those things at all costs. What happens when it comes our way? We want it out. ASAP.
We medicate our problem. We start that desperate search for a cure, or at least some kind of heart aspirin that can hold us over for a little while until the pain returns and we pop in a different brand. But what’s the problem with medicine? It always runs out eventually and is only temporary.
This cycle is something that’s become very real to me in my own life as I step back and watch how I handle pain and hurt. What do I do the second that I’m hurting? That which I know will bring me some level of comfort. I love being around people and interacting and laughing and doing all those extrovert-ish things us extroverts love to do. So if a person hurts me, I look for a different person to cure it. Just like I’ve seen play out in others’ lives of those close to me, if a boy or girl breaks their heart, the general reaction is to look for a different one to mend it back together. Now call me crazy but I’m pretty sure that is a vicious cycle of using each other. What sucks about using each other as medication?
People are just as lost, hurting, and searching for a cure as you and I. So when we look for the solution in other people, we will always be let down because they too, are hoping YOU are the antidote and just maybe, you’ll be different than the rest. But if they’re thinking the same thing you are, I don’t think either of you will find that cure you’re looking for.
In the words of many wise people, and Miley Cyrus, Nobody’s Perfect. How many times ya gotta hear that phrase in your lifetime you’re probably thinking… But no really. Stop and think about this. If the person you’re looking to heal your brokenness is just as broken as you, when will you ever find what you’re looking for? This has become unbelievably real to me over the last year.
The only perfect human on this entire planet that has ever lived was Jesus. I believe that to be true. And what hope there is in that fact! I CAN turn to him to cure my incurable problem; because HE alone will not let me down like every other uncured and broken person. Simple idea, crazy hard lifestyle to live out. Next time you’re hurting, step back and see what your first desire, thought, or inclination is to do… Most likely you’ll be surprised you turn to something or someone that is just as imperfect and broken as you and the pain that is plaguing you. Instead, actively CHOOSE to turn to Christ. Don’t just passively acknowledge His existence, but truly make HIM your CURE. He is a miracle cure not a temporary aspirin. You’ll be amazed at the difference of a healed heart and one with a band aid over top.

Love and Blessings!
Han :)

3 comments:

  1. Loved this. Loved your message. Beautiful start, han. I love you and am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing young woman! Godspeed, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete